So Close

Kitchen Reno  ::  2017

Our new kitchen is in the middle of the house, making the old kitchen still usable during renovation.  Almost everything is done, we’re ready for living in more than 2 rooms.

Lights and valence lighting are all LED, cabinets are sprayed with waterborne lacquer.  Counter tops are being made, hopefully ready by Christmas.

Advertisements

More Power! (Jeremy Clarkson)

Trailer & Echo  ::  2016

Have found that I commute more than anything now, don’t need a truck, but want that lovely back end for hauling.  So I now have a reliable Echo, & put a trailer on it.  If I need a larger vehicle twice a year, a van can be rented.  Putting the hitch and wiring harness on was straight forward.  The supplier I used was Curt, but in hind sight should have ordered from U-haul.

When we were in Munich Germany 2 years ago, there were many small vehicles towing trailers.  This makes so much sense.  For the limited number of times I need to haul anything bulky, this is convenient and inexpensive.  And manly.

 

Strike The Pose

New Home Show Display  ::  2016

Day job at MCADI.ca needed a new home show display, and the wood shop stepped up!  We had some fun with this & Darryl’s design worked out well.  He says the water feature brings the kids in, then we sell to the parents.

The Can Can

Pantry Pull-out  ::  2016

Breathed new life into existing cabinetry with some pantry pull-out boxes.  Originally a broom / utility unit, I put plywood gables inside the existing box structure.  Now the side mount slide screws are going into plywood, instead of the existing particle board gables.

The boxes are quite strong, made of baltic birch and a stainless steel top rail.  Slides are 100 lb rated Lee Valley side mounts, matching the rest of the kitchen.  They are all sprayed with Sherwin Williams Kem Aqua waterborne lacquer – this top coat lasts and has great wear-ability and is seriously stain resistant.

Although it is not my preference to put drawer boxes behind a hinged door, I had to use the existing cabinetry.  Making this unit with drawer fronts would have meant respraying the entire kitchens doors and drawer fronts.

More Suction

Ceiling Air Filtration  ::  2015

My day job shop has 2 air filters I modified to house 4 filters instead of the single factory filter.  3/4″ plywood (off cuts) makes the frame and 1/8″ ply (free cover sheet wrapping) skins the outside.  This makes each one lightweight, they can be lifted down each day for cleaning.

Suck It Up

Thien separator  ::  2015

My first attempt at a thien separator.  This allows the main bulk of vacuum debris to collect in the bottom of the bucket, keeping the air filter cleaner.

A number of designs are available on YouTube,  this one is pieced together from a few places.

I needed an old bucket, offcuts, on-sale vacuum, left over bits-and-pieces.  The finished unit is vacuum & bucket combined into one piece.  The vacuum works well & has suction for much longer than usual.  Next I need to put a clear plastic window in the bucket.

BAB

Big something Brackets  ::  2015

Usually make cabinetry all day long, but this time it was cedar brackets.  These support an exterior entryway roof.  Was enjoyable to break out the mortiser & chisels.

One More Box – with some boxes inside

Single Custom Cabinet  ::  2015

Some good people bought a Home Depot kitchen, but needed a custom cabinet to match.  Above their stairway is an opening, the cabinet goes in there.

Baltic birch drawer boxes are 29″ deep.  Custom stain match birch drawer fronts & flange.  Plywood carcass.  All coated with Sherwin Williams waterborne lacquer.

The main carcass has to be assembled onsite – would not fit through doorways assembled.   The new slides from Blum allow for up/down, side/side, front/back movement.  The install was quick, just a little leveling of the carcass & scribing of the flange.

Up Up and ….

Attic Access Hatch  ::  2015

Work on the framing, insulation, drywall, flooring has finally lead to the first finishing touch.

Each doorway has been made larger than usual, so furniture is easier to move.  A single door takes up a larger footprint, but a double door is going to allow for better room layouts.  So I made the attic access hatch look like a double door to mimic the future bedroom doors.  Can’t wait to do trim work & make the cherry room doors.